Re: LOI needed Kris A. Monahan 11 Jun 2008 14:49 EST

I concur. I would not submit a proposal unless the collaborators have
agreed (through their authorized signatory) to a budget and scope of work.
 I have been on the other end-where an institution has submitted and
indicated my institution would partner when in fact no agreement was made.
I found it unprofessional of the submitting institution not to contact me
and alert me that commitments were made on behalf my institution.

Research Administration Discussion List <xxxxxx@hrinet.org> writes:
>You have every right to insist that her collaborators will do what they
>purportedly say they will do. How will your institution look if either or
>both of these collaborators back out (or were not real collaborators) if
>you do indeed receive the grant? You will look like you did not do your
>due diligence to ensure these partners are serious. Also, I would imagine
>reviewers would want to see letters of collaboration, so by not
>submitting them you are reducing your chances of being funded. While you
>want to do all that you can for the PI, your first responsibility is to
>protect the college/university and do what's best for it.

>I have a question. A PI wants to collaborate with 2 research
>organizations i.e., American Heart Association and an organization that
>deals with bipolar disorders. The deadline for submitting is 6/13.�  I
>asked her to get LOIs and she doesn't want to do it. She says she'll do
>it later if the grant gets funded. I don't like the idea of committing
>or promising to commit an organization without the LOI and budget.
>
>Can you offer any suggestions? I appreciate your advice.
>
>Gamaliel L. Ballard (Beenie)
>Director
>Grants Management
>Meharry Medical College
>Nashville, TN 37208
>Tel: 615 327-6738
>Fax: 615 327-6716
>
>Better early preparation than late hurry.
>
>DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it may be
>privileged, confidential, and contain health information that is legally
>protected. This information is intended only for the use of the
>individual or entity named above. The authorized recipient of this
>information is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other
>party unless permitted to do so by law or regulation. If you are not the
>intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure,
>copying, or distribution, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
>this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and
>arrange for the return or destruction of these documents.

>on "Listserv Lists")

Kris A. Monahan
Director of Pre-Award Services
Wellesley Centers for Women
www.wcwonline.org
e-mail: xxxxxx@wellesley.edu  Phone: 781 283-2508
Wellesley College 106 Central Street Wellesley, MA 02481-8203