Re: LOI needed Barbara H Gray 11 Jun 2008 14:48 EST

Stick to your guns on this and require something from the other
organizations so that there are no nasty post-award surprises for
anyone.  The Golden Rule applies here--you wouldn't want another
organization committing your university to something that hasn't been
through your review and approval process, and so you shouldn't do that
to another organization.  There is plenty of time to get the required
commitments in writing--even if just via email from their
administrators to you.  Good luck!

Ballard, Gamaliel L. wrote:

>I have a question. A PI wants to collaborate with 2 research
>organizations i.e., American Heart Association and an organization that
>deals with bipolar disorders. The deadline for submitting is 6/13.  I
>asked her to get LOIs and she doesn't want to do it. She says she'll do
>it later if the grant gets funded. I don't like the idea of committing
>or promising to commit an organization without the LOI and budget.
>
>Can you offer any suggestions? I appreciate your advice.
>
>Gamaliel L. Ballard (Beenie)
>Director
>Grants Management
>Meharry Medical College
>Nashville, TN 37208
>Tel: 615 327-6738
>Fax: 615 327-6716
>
>Better early preparation than late hurry.
>
>DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it may be
privileged, confidential, and contain health information that is
legally protected. This information is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. The authorized recipient of this
information is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other
party unless permitted to do so by law or regulation. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
disclosure, copying, or distribution, is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this information in error, please notify the sender
immediately and arrange for the return or destruction of these
documents.

Barbara H. Gray
Director of Grants & Contracts
Valdosta State University