Re: Maximum PI Effort? TED MORDHORST 04 Jun 2008 09:52 EST

Hi Jessica,
There is no place in the federal regulations that I am aware of where this is specified.  As a result of some high profile audit findings related to faculty effort many institutions set a maximum limit on the percent of salary that can be paid from sponsored programs.  We elected not to do that.  Our practice is provided in a Grants Information Memorandum (GIM) published on our web page that you can see here. http://www.washington.edu/research/osp/gim/gim35.html

Ted Mordhorst
Assistant Director for Post Award Compliance
Research Accounting and Analysis, Box 351122
University of Washington
3719 university Way NE
Seattle, Wa 98105-6692
xxxxxx@u.washington.edu
Phone 206-616-8978
Fax 206-543-0764

Work hours:
Mon - Thurs 6:30 AM - 5 PM

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Bivona and Kleinberg BML
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 6:41 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Maximum PI Effort?

Good morning!  Does anyone know if there is a maximum amount of effort that
a PI can commit to his/her funded projects?  I remember thinking that it
couldn't reach 100% because of the necessary administrative/grant writing
duties that s/he might have, but I can't find that written down anywhere.
Thanks!
Jessica
_________________________________
Alicia Bivona & Jessica Kleinberg, CRA
Office of Sponsored Programs
Health Research, Inc.
Riverview Center
150 Broadway, Suite 560
Menands, NY 12204-2719

Phone: (518) 431-1264
Fax: (518) 431-1234
Email: xxxxxx@healthresearch.org

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.