Re: export compliance monitoring question Cruise, Tom 15 May 2008 13:37 EST

At Virginia Tech, we created an office to specifically handle export
control regulations. This office works with our Pre Award office on the
proposal/award stage, as well as the Post Award office on project
compliance.  They also conduct training to faculty and staff as it
relates to export control compliance.  Here is the link to their website
http://www.researchcompliance.vt.edu/oesrc/index.html

Thomas W. Cruise
Associate Director, Post Award
Office of Sponsored Programs
(540) 231-9389 ph  (540) 231-3599 fax
xxxxxx@vt.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Ruth B Smith
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:51 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] export compliance monitoring question

What a fabulous question!  Thank you, Sheryl, for asking it.  I hope
everyone responds to the list rather than off line as we are all in the
same boat and could benefit from others' details.

Here at ODU Research Foundation, we screen for export control matters
with
four questions on our routing form.  They are:

 EXPORT CONTROLS:
 Yes  No   Does this project involve delivery of hardware, software,
materials or biologicals to a foreign national/person?
 Yes  No   Does this project involve training an employee/representative
of
a foreign national/person?
 Yes  No   Does this project involve travel to or visitors from a
foreign
country?
 Yes  No   Does this project involve exchange of written or verbal data
or
 reports with a foreign national/person (could include foreign
 students sharing space where the project is being conducted)?

If there are any "yes" responses, the investigator is instructed to
complete a more extensive screening form.   That form is used to assess
the
sort of international participation, possibility of fundamental research
and the nature of the tools or technology used in the project.

Ruth

Ruth Smith, Executive Director
Old Dominion University Research Foundation
P.O. Box 6369; Norfolk, VA 23508
Ph 757.683.4293, ext. 600
Fax 757.683.5290
Mobile Ph 757-469-5675

>|<

 Sheryl Trexler

 <xxxxxx@A

 SU.EDU>
 Sent by: Research         xxxxxx@hrinet.org

 Administration
cc
 List

 <xxxxxx@hrinet.
Subject
 org>                      [RESADM-L] export compliance

 monitoring question

 05/15/2008 01:05

 PM

 Please respond to