Re: export compliance monitoring question Callahan, Tricia L. 15 May 2008 12:02 EST

Sheryl,

At Western Kentucky University we used a combination of self-report (with the help of a few questions on our proposal Sign-off Sheet-- http://www.wku.edu/Dept/Support/SponsPrg/grants/signoff.htm) and our proposal development officers also "glanced" at the proposals for potential issues.  Anything self-reported by a PI or flagged by a proposal development person were sent to our compliance officer for further review.

I just began at Miami University, and so far there seems to be no system in place for dealing with export control issues.

Tricia Callahan

Tricia L. Callahan, M.A.
Assistant Director
Office for the Advancement of Research & Scholarship
Miami University
Oxford, OH  45056

Direct line: (513) 529-1795
Main line:  (513) 529-3600
Fax line:  (513) 529-3762

E-mail:  xxxxxx@muohio.edu
Web:  www.units.muohio.edu/oars

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Sheryl Trexler
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 12:49 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] export compliance monitoring question

-----Original Message-----
I would like to ask the members of the list how their institution's
monitor export compliance.  In particular how do you identify when
export issues arise? Do you pre-review contracts, rfp's and proposals?
Perhaps you have a system for PI's to self report. Or do you have some
other way to monitor export compliance?  You may respond to me offline
if you prefer. I would be glad to compile the results and share it with
the list or offline directly.

Thank you,
Sheryl Trexler
Arizona State University