Re: rewarding humanities faculty Nadler, Elsa 08 Apr 2008 09:04 EST

That was always an issue with me. When I was at my former institution, I
wanted faculty and chairs to voluntarily fill out an abbreviated version
of the internal approval sheet so that individual awards such as those
(Fulbrights are part of that picture) could be credited, but it went
over like a lead balloon. No one wanted to go through the hassle of
filling out another form. If you have deans and provosts pushing for
some kind of data collection--in the interest of giving credit for
efforts such as these--then you might be more successful.

Good luck

Elsa G. Nadler
Director, Grants Development
Phone: 419.383.6967
Fax: 419.383.3216

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Sheri Walls
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 9:29 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] rewarding humanities faculty

Do any of you have a way of tracking non-sponsored projects for
humanities faculty? Explanation: We have faculty who do work on their
own and receive compensation in the form of fellowships, check-in-hand,
etc.. Some of these actually go through grants.gov but the award goes to
the individual instead of the university. The problem then comes from
the fact that the awards don't show up in the reports we get from the
post-award office because the money didn't go through the university
system. It seems unfair that these faculty don't get to share in the
benefits that are given to faculty who do bring in sponsored projects,
say biology faculty, like indirect cost distribution.

So, any suggestions on ways to track these awards so that the humanities
faculty will be recognized for their work?

Hope that's clear :)

Sheri Walls
Grants & Compliance Coordinator
Office of Research & Technology Transfer
Arkansas State University
Phone: 870-972-3032
Fax: 870-972-2336
University cell: 870-897-3256