Re: Query: Entry-Level ResAdm Positions - Who do you hire? Pamela T. Plotkin 19 Mar 2008 12:14 EST

I feel compelled to jump in and disagree.  While my sample size is
small, I, and several others like myself, who began tenure
track/science-track careers, jumped into research administration and
have remained on the job.

As federal funding tightens,  academic positions continue to become
extremely competitive, and people look for alternative careers from the
traditional academic tenure-track, research administration offers a
wonderful opportunity for trained scientists to lend their expertise to
the field whether it is in sponsored programs, tech transfer,
compliance, etc.

Cheers,

Pam

Pamela Plotkin, Ph.D.
Deputy Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
Cornell University
373 Pine Tree Road
East Hill Plaza
Ithaca, NY 14850-2820