FW: [RESADM-L] no-cost extension planned at proposal stage[Scanned] Zoya Hamilton 29 Feb 2008 09:28 EST

Thanks everybody for responding to my question. We got this matter
resolved. Since we cannot offer cost share in year 6, the PI has agreed
to plan recruitment of all the students in years 1 and 2 (as opposed to
years 1, 2 and 3). This way, all the students should be finished with
the program in 5 years. Only if it turns out that enough qualified
students cannot be recruited in the first two years the no-cost
extension would be necessary. Even if this is the case, there is no
reason to plan for the extension at the proposal stage any more.

I appreciate all the input that I have received.

Zoya Hamilton, CRA
Associate Director of Research and Sponsored Programs
University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff

--Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Zoya Hamilton
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:49 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] no-cost extension planned at proposal stage[Scanned]

Hello colleagues,

One of our PI's is preparing a 5-year NSF proposal that requests
scholarships for students. By the end of the fifth year, a few of the
students will still have one year of school to go. The PI wrote into the
budget for the final year the amount of scholarships for year 5 and for
the additional year 6 for these students and specified in the narrative
that a no-cost extension will be requested from NSF to finish supporting
the last cohort of students. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for your input, as always.

Zoya Hamilton, CRA
Associate Director of Research and Sponsored Programs
University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff
Mail Slot 4978, 1200 North University Drive
Pine Bluff, AR 71601
tel. 870-575-8076; fax 870-575-4672