Re: Anthropology, History and Rhetoric Kristy Ford 22 Feb 2008 08:53 EST

The director/vp for the research office or an IRB member can determine that a project is oral history and is, therefore, exempt.  A student who applies to the IRB for any project must be under the supervision of an advisor or classroom professor and should be coordinating with their advisor during every step of the way.  In either case, the PI can apply for an exemption from the IRB and the review would follow the exempt review process already established.

Regarding group observance, it depends on what you mean, as I do not have a vast knowledge of anthropology.  If you can explain in more detail what you mean, I may be able to elaborate.

Kristy Ford
Grant Management Manager
Office of Sponsored Programs/MHUMC
4750 Waters Ave. Suite 212
Savannah, GA  31404
(912)350-6379

>>> Elisabeth Sherwin <xxxxxx@UALR.EDU> 2/22/2008 8:31 AM >>>
THh parts we got. However, who decides that its just "oral history" ?
do we leave it to the faculty? and re anthropology --- what if they
join a group to observe? and what if it is a student whp is still
learning their craft..........