Re: Eligibility to Submit Grants Glen Clarke 08 Feb 2008 13:46 EST

I was just framing a similar answer.  The key is that the institution is
the applicant and the institution is the awardee.

The only thing that I would add to what Kristy said is that, as the
awardee, the institution has clear reporting responsibilities to the
sponsor as part of its acceptance of the award.  This includes program
reports as well as fiscal reports.  Kristy discusses the fiscal risks
well below.  But having an unaffiliated PI creates a host of potential
program report risks that could negatively affect the institution.
Again, common sense dictates that you not rely on an unaffiliated
individual to meet the institution's program report obligations.  The
institution's control over the PI's future pay checks and evaluations
can assist an affiliated individual in remembering to complete required
reports in a timely manner on behalf of the institution.  As has been
discussed here before, all affiliated PI's will not necessarily remember
and will not be easily coaxed to remember.  How much harder, then, would
it be to get reports out of unaffiliated PI's?

Glen C. Clarke
Associate Director
Research and Sponsored Programs Office
SUNY Cortland