Re: Participant Costs Jim Cappellucci 29 Jan 2008 15:55 EST

From: Research Administration List on behalf of Pamela K Mott
Sent: Tue 1/29/2008 3:42 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Participant Costs

From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:21 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org

Office of the Executive
 Vice-President for Research
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292

(502) 852-3788 (Phone)
(502) 852-2594 (Fax)

http://research.louisville.edu/gm/gm-survey.htm

>>> Terri Fayle <xxxxxx@UCMO.EDU> 1/29/2008 1:29 PM >>>
I would like your reaction to a 'mini survey'.  Recently we prepared a
budget which required 'Participant Costs' (specifically travel) be
itemized separately from project administrative travel costs.  I believe
this is important because a funder is more likely to be concerned that
participant costs are actually spent on participants, so you would not
want to inflate this number by including administrative costs in a
participant costs line.

The question, do you believe a project director/principal investigator
can incur participant costs?

a) No, because his ovearching role will always be project management,
even though specific activities may happen to fall into a 'participant'
area.

or,

b) Yes, as a project director actual activities may be all encompassing
and expenses should be charged according to the activities, therefore if
the PD engages in participant activities the expenses involved with
those activities should be charged accordingly.

I will share the results.  Terri.

Terri L. Fayle
Assistant Director
Sponsored Programs
WDE 1800
University of Central Missouri
Warrensburg, MO
660-543-8165
xxxxxx@ucmo.edu
http://www.ucmo.edu/x22653.xml

"A customer who complains is my best friend"  Stew Leonard