Re: NIH salary cap and budgeting for out years Christene 29 Jan 2008 12:05 EST

I always use the current salary cap for all 5 years, there have been several
years that the cap does not increase.

Christene James, MBA, NP
Administrator, Center on Human Development & Disability
University of  Washington, Box 357920
 Seattle, WA 98195-7920  (O) (206) 221-5496 (F) 206-543-3561
xxxxxx@u.washington.edu
CHDD Website: http://depts.washington.edu/chdd/
This electronic message transmission contains information which may be
confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of
the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents
of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please notify me by telephone at (206) 221-5496 or by
electronic reply, and  delete this message. Thank you.
-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of
Vicki Krell
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:51 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] NIH salary cap and budgeting for out years

Hi, everyone. I was recently asked this by one of my departments and thought
I'd throw the question out to the group to see how others are handling this
situation.

If you are submitting a 5 year R01, and you use the current salary cap as
the base salary for the investigators who meet or exceed the cap, are you
keeping that base salary level for them flat (i.e. using this year's level
of $191,300 as an example) for all 5 years or are you adding a 3% increment
to that level for each of the other years, assuming the cap will increase
each year? I usually recommend to my folks that we keep the level flat
because we can't guarantee that the salary cap will increase each year or by
what level, but I started thinking about that again and wondered what the
rest of you think/do.

Thanks!

Vicki

Vicki Krell, CRA

Sponsored Projects Site Supervisor

Office for Research and Sponsored Projects Admin.

Arizona State University

(480) 965-2171

(480) 965-1703 - fax

xxxxxx@asu.edu