Re: Grants.gov Adobe forms questions Mike L. Varney 29 Jan 2008 09:46 EST

There have been slight changes to the PDF file format through each version.
If an organization has developed custom applications to read PDF files and
process data on them, changes in the PDF file format may glitch the
process.  For example, a program designed with PDF version 6 in mind may
glitch when given a PDF saved in version 8.

Adobe accomodated this by allowing you to Save-As an earlier version in
Acrobat.

One of the biggest changes I'm aware of is the method compression of images
embedded in PDFs changing over the years (leading to later versions of PDFs
being smaller in comparison), and changes int he form engine in Acrobat
that I assume had effects on the data files.

-- M

 "Bloomberg,
 Robert"
 <xxxxxx@TUFTS                                          To
 -NEMC.ORG>                xxxxxx@hrinet.org
 Sent by: Research                                          cc
 Administration
 List                                                  Subject
 <xxxxxx@hrinet.         Re: [RESADM-L] Grants.gov Adobe
 org>                      forms questions

 01/29/2008 09:41
 AM

 Please respond to
 Research
 Administration
 Discussion List
 <xxxxxx@hrinet.
 org>

Not being a computer expert, I have a question--

Is there a problem with having a version of Adobe other than 8.1.1 on the
computer?
 From:    Bob Beattie <xxxxxx@UMICH.EDU>

 To:      <xxxxxx@hrinet.org>

 Date:    1/24/2008 4:21 PM

 Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Grants.gov Adobe forms
 questions

 In all of my comments I did not refer to the Grants.gov Help Desk;

 but to the Grants.gov Washington staff, and what they publish on
 their website and state in public meetings and webcasts.

 Everything presented refers to ADOBE READER 8.1.1.   Is this not,
 now, sufficient guidance?
 Note that the requirement for using ADOBE READER 8.1.1 and not
 7.0.1
 was released just last Friday
 http://www.grants.gov/aboutgrants/program_status_archive.jsp

 Concerning Steve's excellent points.
 The Federal Demonstration Partnership encourages IT staff to attend

 its meetings.  Each member has a Faculty, a Grants Office
 administrator and an IT "slot."  There is is an eRA Standing
 Committee which arranges meetings for the IT staff, and others, who

 wish to attend.  Only 90 some schools are members of FDP, and not
 all
 send an IT/eRA person.

 Moreover, while there are sessions at Regional and National
 SRA/NCURA
 meeting on eRA topics, many schools do not send anyone.  These
 meetings are expensive. Regional meetings are, however, often
 nearby.  The NCURA Western meeting is in Portland.

 Grants.gov, at least, has a free webcast every quarter.  This
 listserv gives an opportunity for information exchange.  The NCURA

 eRA Neighborhood is another venue for discussion (but I think it
 requires membership in NCURA).  Is there a similar SRA function?

 I would hope that Grants Offices that are lucky enough to have
 their
 own IT staff, do support them and keep them in the "loop."  I find

 that often the problems come when dealing with IT staff at a higher

 level, who have not the time to understand the difficulties of
 modern
 electronic Grants management.

 Bob
 xxxxxx@umich.edu

 On Jan 24, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Dimmitt, Robert J wrote:

 In the email below regarding believing IT staff or believing
 grants.gov
 staff, I have some concern.  When the adobe forms first came out
 and
 then opened up to 8.1.1, I emailed, and called, the grants.gov help
 desk
 to ask the following questions:

 1)  In one instance, I asked if adobe acrobat professional was
 supported
 as well as Reader.  Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of an email
 response because they emailed me back asking for me to call them.
 However, they gave me a case number (which is available if anyone
 needs
 it) saying that, in fact, acrobat professional was able to be used
 and
 was not "advertised" because it was not a free software like reader
 is.
 At the end of my conversation, I specifically verified that if
 someone
 does have a version of acrobat professional 8.1.1 or 7.0.9, then
 they
 would be ok and not need to go through reader.  The answer was YES.

 2)  When 8.1.1 came out, I had another conversation  with the
 grants.gov
 help desk (unfortunately no email trail on this one or a case
 number, so
 you just have to take my word on it).  The conversation focused on
 if a
 package using 8.1.1 could be submitted with a 7.0.9 version and
 vice
 versa.  Again, the response was YES.

 Now,  I want to clarify that we have only submitted a handful of
 adobe
 packages to date and have not had any problems.  However, I am not
 sure
 where to go now or what to do. Our IT staff have put what we have
 asked
 for on our machines and we are in a position to submit proposals
 according to the instructions/guidance we were given.  If, however,
 we
 are being told that that either using acrobat, or a reader version
 other
 than the one it was created in, will cause errors, this is a
 problem.

 If at all possible, can someone please provide some guidance?

 Rob

 Rob Dimmitt
 Assistant Director, Pre-Award
 Sponsored Program Services
 Purdue University
 302 Wood Street
 West Lafayette, IN 47907-2108
 Phone: (765) 496-9647     Fax: (765) 494-1360