Fwd: Adobe test submissions Bob Beattie 29 Jan 2008 09:28 EST

Here is a copy of a message I sent to the primary managers at
Grants.gov.  I thought we could use an opportunity to submit a test
Adobe Forms application to make sure we had the right configuration
of Adobe Reader 8.1.1, and that we could have that program and others
on our system, and still get positive results.

Some people have already done actual submissions, some failed but
were fixed, some were successful. For the rest, a test submission
might be useful.  It is a "long-shot" as these folks are very swamped
now.  But, perhaps at least worth a try.  I'll post the outcome of
the request.

Bob
------------------------------
Robert Beattie
UMich Grants.gov Liaison
Managing Project Representative for Electronic Research Administration
Division of Research Development and Administration
University of Michigan
xxxxxx@umich.edu   (734) 936-1283
Learn more about Grants.gov @ UMICH
http://www.research.umich.edu/era/grants_gov/

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Beattie <xxxxxx@umich.edu>
Date: January 29, 2008 9:23:02 AM GMT-05:00
To: "Vincent (HHS/ASRT) Sprouls"  "Michael (HHS/ASRT) Pellegrino"
Subject: test submissions

Hi Michael and Vince,

It is great to see so much activity going on with the implementation
of Adobe Forms.  Such good progress.  I think most people are now
understanding what is needed.

There has been much discussion of what programs will work and not
work, and how to install them, on the Research Administrators .  This
is a discussion group of some 2500 administrators around the country.

You put up some example Adobe forms so people could have a look and
this is very helpful.  May I suggest one more step that would really
help us all in understanding how the process will work.

Is it possible that you can allow people to submit one of the example
applications to a test server so that they can be sure they have the
right configuration of Adobe Reader 8.1.1.  A number of people have
expressed a concern that they cannot have different versions of Adobe
products on their computer, even if they are using only Reader 8.1.1
for filling out and submitting.

I know this is a bit of extra work in the middle of your already
burdened agenda.  I suspect few people know that the whole Grants.gov
enterprise sits on the shoulders of about six federal staffers.  Yet
this is very important, as otherwise, people's first submission
attempt will be with a real application, in perhaps a crisis mode.

Thanks very much for your continued efforts to improve the process,
and I hope you can add the test submission option to the otherwise
successful operation.

Bob
xxxxxx@umich.edu