Re: Try both Professional and READER Mike L. Varney 28 Jan 2008 07:49 EST

Also, when you do a Save-As in the full Adobe Acrobat Professional product,
you can save the PDF so that it conforms to an earlier version of the PDF
file format.  So, you could use 8.1.1 to submit and save your other files
as PDF 6.0 documents so they could be used elsewhere in your organization.

-- M

 xxxxxx@UMICH.EDU
 Sent by: Research
 Administration                                             To
 List                      xxxxxx@hrinet.org
 <xxxxxx@hrinet.                                          cc
 org>
 Subject
 [RESADM-L] Try both Professional
 01/26/2008 09:50          and READER
 PM

 Please respond to
 Research
 Administration
 Discussion List
 <xxxxxx@hrinet.
 org>

Please allow me to say again, there should be no reason you cannot have
all Adobe programs on your computer and still use ADOBE READER 8.1.1 to
manage Grants.gov applications.  I have Professional and ADOBE READER
8.1.1 both on my computer with no proglem except that when I open up
Professional it wants to be my browser default.  I can stop this
message from coming up but it is comforting to know that Reader is
displacing it.

Does anyone have a conflict with different Adobe programs running on
the same computer?

Priscilla, have you actually tried to have Professional and Reader on
one machine?  Is this a problem of having  Professional 6.0.  Why not
upgrade to Professional 8 to do all the .pdf tasks you mention, and
also have ADOBE READER 8.1.1 for the Forms Management?

Now, I must be careful what I say because there are many different
computers and operating systems. If someone does have a problem running
both Professional and ADOBE READER 8.1.1 please report your experience.

Thanks to Jim Strasma for an excellent description of how to get ADOBE
READER 8.1.1 the default on Windows.  I will try this, myself, on my
Dell on Monday.  While I use a Mac for all my work, I admit that I have
a non-Mac for testing things  :)

Bob
xxxxxx@umich.edu
Quoting Priscilla Kimboko <xxxxxx@GVSU.EDU>:

> I'm curious how many other universities have computers dedicated
> solely to grants submission activities?  It seems to me that
> expecting someone to have a computer with no version of Adobe than
> Adobe Reader 8.1.1 is unrealistic.  Our office use Adobe Professional
> 6.0 and could easily upgrade to Adobe Professional 8.0, but we do
> need the capacity to edit various PDF documents, create forms, and
> other such actions on the same computer that is used for grants
> submissions...
>
> Are we the only ones that have multiple uses for Adobe PDF products
> on our computers?
>
> Priscilla J. Kimboko, Ph.D.
> Dean of Graduate Studies & Grants Administration
> Grand Valley State University
> 336 C DeVos
> 401 W. Fulton
> Grand Rapids, MI 49504
> 616-331-7105 Office
> 616-331-7265 Direct line
> 616-331-7317 FAX
> xxxxxx@gvsu.edu
> www.gvsu.edu/gsga
> www.gvsu.edu/research_dev
> www.gvsu.edu/ncaselfstudy
>
> Change makes all things possible.  Lao-Tzu
>

> From: Bob Beattie <xxxxxx@UMICH.EDU>
> To:<xxxxxx@hrinet.org>
> Date: 1/24/2008 4:21 PM
> Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Grants.gov Adobe forms questions
> In all of my comments I did not refer to the Grants.gov Help Desk;
> but to the Grants.gov Washington staff, and what they publish on
> their website and state in public meetings and webcasts.
>
> Everything presented refers to ADOBE READER 8.1.1.   Is this not,
> now, sufficient guidance?
> Note that the requirement for using ADOBE READER 8.1.1 and not 7.0.1
> was released just last Friday
> http://www.grants.gov/aboutgrants/program_status_archive.jsp
>
> Concerning Steve's excellent points.
> The Federal Demonstration Partnership encourages IT staff to attend
> its meetings.  Each member has a Faculty, a Grants Office
> administrator and an IT "slot."  There is is an eRA Standing
> Committee which arranges meetings for the IT staff, and others, who
> wish to attend.  Only 90 some schools are members of FDP, and not all
> send an IT/eRA person.
>
> Moreover, while there are sessions at Regional and National SRA/NCURA
> meeting on eRA topics, many schools do not send anyone.  These
> meetings are expensive. Regional meetings are, however, often
> nearby.  The NCURA Western meeting is in Portland.
>
> Grants.gov, at least, has a free webcast every quarter.  This
> listserv gives an opportunity for information exchange.  The NCURA
> eRA Neighborhood is another venue for discussion (but I think it
> requires membership in NCURA).  Is there a similar SRA function?
>
> I would hope that Grants Offices that are lucky enough to have their
> own IT staff, do support them and keep them in the "loop."  I find
> that often the problems come when dealing with IT staff at a higher
> [...]

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.