Re: Grants.gov and sharing large files Russo, Fredric 16 Jan 2008 17:16 EST

Hi all,

We've also set up a "Grants.Gov" folder on our network server. Within this folder, are subfolders for faculty members submitting proposals to Grants.Gov. Within the faculty member's folder, is another subfolder for the specific Grants.Gov submission which contains the PureEdge or Adobe File, as well as the instructions. Permissions are also assigned so only the PI and SPO can access/write to the folder.

 In general, it really works quite well. The obvious advantage is that PI's aren't sending us multiple emails with multiple files to be uploaded to the PureEdge file, or running across campus with thumb drives or CD's, for the larger files. (Although there have been times when this has happenned!) It makes the process much more of a "team/collaborative" effort and also allows the PI to actually work within the Grants.Gov application and view and confirm that their file uploads look the way they want them to look.

The limitations of  "shared server," are as follows:

1.) Space considerations. Once the folder reaches it's capacity (Eg; 2G), we either need to request more space, or archive older applications, or a combination of both. As you know, sometimes PI's will ask for a copy of their previous submission, so we generally keep them on file through the end of the fiscal year and then archive them.

2.) There are times, when SPO staff and PI's "over-write" each other's work. It hasn't happenned that often, but I can recall a few instances. I'm told there's a  work-around for that particular problem and we're going to look into that.

3.) There are some faculty members that simply don't want to work with the application package, and would rather send us, or deliver their final documents. This is fine (one size does not always fit all), as long as we get sufficient time to upload and review.

The "shared server" strategy works for us, mainly because our volume is currently such that it's managable. However, as that increases, I think we're going to have to look very seriously at a "system to system" solution--eg; COEUS, CAYUSE, etc.

Hope that helps-

Best-

Ted

Ted Russo, C.R.A.