Re: Contract employees and grants Roberts, Anna, L 10 Jan 2008 10:25 EST

We have the same thing at our institution with a few researchers that
are also "Contract Physicians." We receive contracts/Notice of Grant
Awards and then contract again to the entity that actually pays their
salary to reimburse them for salary support. Because grant accounting
needs to be done separately, we contract separately as well on a case by
case basis. Also, if they are paid over the NIH cap by their employer, I
would note who will pay the cost share in the subagreements as well.

Usually, the company these docs work for, also don't have a set fringe
or F&A rate either and so we invoice based on pay stubs, which is a
post-award pain in the rear.

My other suggestion, stay away from NIH Career Awards.

Good Luck!

Anna L. Roberts
Manager, Grants Administration
The Children's Mercy Hospital