Re: University Indirect Cost Allocation... Lisa Batiste-Evans 04 Jan 2008 17:08 EST

Thank you John!  I appreciate your response....the information that I've been receiving and have located via list serv seems to be in line with the "tail" as well.

Lisa
Lisa Batiste-Evans, Systemwide Director
Grants and Sponsored Programs
Alliant International University
One Beach Street
Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94133
Phone:  (415) 955-2065
Fax:  (415) 955-2063
email: xxxxxx@alliant.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@alliant.edu>
________________________________
From: Research Administration List [xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Baumann, John [xxxxxx@UMKC.EDU]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 12:41 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] University Indirect Cost Allocation...

At UMKC, right now recovered F&A is split as follows:

•        50% to campus (40% to research office)

•        50% to academic unit that generated it

o 20% generally kept by Dean’s office

o 30% generally passed to Department to be split between Dept. and PI

I emphasize right now as there are discussions that may change it. As you probably could guess, the issue of splitting F&A generally follows other budget decisions. Given those discussions at UMKC, there may be changes in the future.

By the way, about a year ago I did a quick email poll on sharing of F&A over a research officers’ list serve. The responses regarding institutional sharing/distribution practices were all over the map, which emphasizes to me that it is the tail, not the dog, in campus budget matters.

John

John R. Baumann, Ph.D.

Vice Provost for Research

Director, Office of Research Services