Re: University Indirect Cost Allocation... Lisa Batiste-Evans 04 Jan 2008 09:12 EST

Thanks Kristy!!  We are of like minds!  I agree with you 100% and in fact included a faculty committee as part of the proposal.  I would also like to show them various indirect cost allocations.......what does this look like for your university?

Lisa Batiste-Evans, Systemwide Director
Grants and Sponsored Programs
Alliant International University
One Beach Street
Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94133
Phone:  (415) 955-2065
Fax:  (415) 955-2063
email: xxxxxx@alliant.edu
From: Research Administration List [xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Kristy Ford [xxxxxx@MEMORIALHEALTH.COM]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 4:53 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] University Indirect Cost Allocation...

Indirect costs could be partially used to fund pilot studies that are often necessary prior to applying externally for funding.  Often times, larger funding opportunities require already obtained data to show that there is a need to further research a particular topic/area of interest.  However, small universities have difficulty providing the necessary resources to fund such pilot studies.  Your institution could form a formal committee of several faculty members, which offers funding for pilot studies once a year and reviews those proposals to determine the awardees.  After the institution begins to grow financially through external funding, you could expand this program and possibly find other means of funding it besides utilizing your indirect costs.

Hope this helps!
Kristy

Kristy Ford
Grant Management Manager
Office of Sponsored Programs/MHUMC
4750 Waters Ave. Suite 212
Savannah, GA  31404
(912)350-6379

>>> Lisa Batiste-Evans <xxxxxx@ALLIANT.EDU> 1/3/2008 5:11 PM >>>
Happy New Year Everyone!  Thanks to all of you who have been such a big help to me since July 2007 when I took on the Gigantic task of developing a Grants and Sponsored Programs office at my university!

I am in the process of developing a proposal for university indirect cost allocation.  One of the primary aspects of this proposal will focus on the how indirect cost can be used as a motivating factor in increasing faculty research participation.  I would like to have a fairly large pool of actual data/information from universities (who can certainly remain anonymous) to include in the proposal.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

email: xxxxxx@alliant.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@alliant.edu>