Re: leadtime for review of Grants.gov proposals Donahue, Sherie (LLU) 28 Nov 2007 14:10 EST
Dear Jen,

I spent half a day last fall Googling other institution's policies in
regards to this. The results of my informal survey are attached.

Our institution follows something very closely to UMich that Bob
outlines below.

1. Starting about a year ago, we request that all proposals be submitted
6 working days in advance (with the assumption that the PI has been
previously working with their analyst to develop their budgets). This
allows for 1 day for the Office of Sponsored Research to do the
administrative review, 2 days for the scientific review in the Vice
Chancellor's office, 1 day for the PI to make corrections and finalize
the proposal, and then theoretically, 2 days for final review and
submission to the agency well in advance of the deadline. This would
allow for troubleshooting any technical difficulties and to get the PIs
used to submitting early for when the NIH grace period ends. (And yes,
the deadline is met by less than half of our PIs....)

2. We guarantee that any proposal that meets our deadlines will be
submitted. Proposals that do not meet our deadlines will be handled on a
first come, first served basis and submission is not guaranteed. (We
used to drop everything for the grant that came in the day of or a few
hours before the deadline.) We still try to submit the proposal no
matter what, and so far have only had one proposal miss the deadline.

3. We tell the PIs that we are here to help them and work through the
technical problems of grant submissions, and that if they give us the
time to do our jobs, we will make their proposals that much stronger. I
tell the PIs that electronic submissions are not as 'forgiving' as paper
submissions and that the proposal can be rejected if there is a document
missing or data entered incorrectly. I give them horror story examples
of close calls (2 seconds before the deadline is our record) and why
other grants were rejected and had to be resubmitted.

Since we have the we-are-here-to-help-you attitude, for the most part
our PIs have been responsive in trying to meet the earlier deadlines. We
figure that if we can get at least half of the PIs to comply with the
deadlines, it will give us time to work on the latecomers applications
too.

Good luck with your policy! Writing it is easy, enforcing it is the hard
part.

Sherie