Re: RECEIPTS OR PER DIEM April Kane 20 Nov 2007 16:03 EST

I have worked at two Universities where an employee could choose per diem for meals and did not need to produce receipts. (They could also choose to be reimbursed a smaller amount for meals than the full per diem if they chose.)  But they did need to have original receipts for the hotel stays. Also they would need receipts for anything else incidental if it was over $25.

Thanks :)

April Kane
Oversight, Analysis, and Reporting
Phone 626-4014
Fax 624-4843
-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Marie Smith
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:34 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] RECEIPTS OR PER DIEM

 Esteemed colleagues!

Once again I turn to you for guidance.  Currently, in order to receive reimbursement travel and meal expenses, we require that the staff member turn in the appropriate receipts, and they will be reimbursed for the amount of the expense that they incurred.  It has been suggested that we should switch to a per diem policy for meals or simply offer the traveler the choice since many colleges are allowing this.

My question is obvious - Does anyone have a policy that offers per diem for meals and reimbursement for hotels, etc. or does anyone have a policy that gives the traveler the choice of per diem or reimbursement.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

Marie

***************************************
Marie F. Smith, CRA