Re: Question about Grants.Gov and Adobe Reader 8.1.1 Rodriguez, Julia 16 Nov 2007 15:12 EST

I am wondering about how Adobe will handle special characters. For example in our recent NIH Grants.gov proposal the name of one of the key personnel contained "é" (e with an accent over it). When we reviewed the assembled PDF file through NIH eCommons, the name had a"¿" (upside down question mark) instead of the special character. This is a common Adobe conversion issue however for scientific proposals that contain special characters in the title or other form fields, this will be a significant problem. Has anyone heard anything on if this has been addressed?

Julia Rodriguez, Grants Team
106b Bond Life Sciences Center
(573) 884-1783 voice
(573) 884-9395 fax

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Shapiro, Steve
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 1:06 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Question about Grants.Gov and Adobe Reader 8.1.1

There are many technical issues that have not been resolved and/or are
being ignored that will become germain to our ability to submit grant
proposals.

One of these is the fact that multiple Adobe Acrobat applications do not
install 'cleanly' on Windows systems. Specifically, if a user has a paid
Adobe Acrobat product (6, 7 or 8) installed on their computer that
enables them to create or modify Acrobat documents; they also have to
install Acrobat Reader 8.1.1 which will enable them to fill out
Grants.gov applications.

Then a user has to right click on the application file and explicity
tell Acrobat to "Open With Acrobat 8.1.1" The problem is that Adobe does
not always open the specified version that a user may request, and
depending on the software configuration, may open the other version of
Acrobat. Unless the user checks to ensure that the 8.1.1 Reader is open
while editing the application package, they may inadvertendly mangle
their proposal. This corruption will not be caught until the proposal
fails validation @ grants.gov. Similarly, Reader 8.1.1 may come up when
the user really wants their paid version in order to create or modify a
document.

This is going to require quite a bit of analysis on our end, and we hope
to have some solutions for our institution and beyond within a few weeks
to months.  This is all brand new and we have not had time to adjust.

Steve Shapiro
IT support
Office of Research Services and Administration
University of Oregon