Re: Pre-Award Services - Increase Proposal Submissions Kristy Ford 03 Oct 2007 14:59 EST

I think Genius is more effective.  It allows the faculty to set up an account and include their study/research interests and other preferences that provides funding opportunities tailored to their interests.  It also allows them to search for possible collaborators who share their research interests, which is very beneficial during a time in which federal agencies are more likely to fund collaborative, lower-risk proposals.  However, I do not have as much experience with InfoEd as others may have.

Kristy

Kristy Ford
Grant Management Manager
Office of Sponsored Programs/MHUMC
4750 Waters Ave. Suite 212
Savannah, GA  31404
(912)350-6379

>>> Jim Cappellucci <xxxxxx@BIDMC.HARVARD.EDU> 10/3/2007 3:43 PM >>>
Is Infoed Effective?

James Cappellucci, Sr. Financial Analyst
Research Finance
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
330 Brookline Avenue, BR109, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA  02115
P. 617-667-4280
F. 617-667-1110

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Kristy Ford
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 3:40 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Pre-Award Services - Increase Proposal
Submissions

You could put together a monthly newsletter informing the faculty of
upcoming submissions.  If you subscribe to Federal Grants Weekly,
Genius, or other search engines or newsletters, you can provide several
different opportunities in different areas of study to your faculty in a
monthly newsletter created and disseminated by your OSP.

I know that some universities have had difficulty getting faculty to
submit for grants simply because of heavy teaching loads.   However,
every university has its own culture.  It may be useful to send out a
survey to your faculty to find out what influences your faculty to
submit for grant money or what deters them from doing so.

Hope this helps!
Kristy

Kristy Ford
Grant Management Manager
Office of Sponsored Programs/MHUMC
4750 Waters Ave. Suite 212
Savannah, GA  31404
(912)350-6379

>>> "Meyer, Diane M [S P]" <xxxxxx@IASTATE.EDU> 10/3/2007 3:05 PM >>>
Greetings!

We are experiencing a reduction in the number of proposals submitted by
our faculty/PI's.  Anyone out there with the same experience?  I'm
interested in what you may have done (i.e. surveys, additional services,
outreach and etc.) to increase the number of proposals at your
institution.  Currently, we have three members of the Proposal Team who
reviewed 1,825 proposals last year.  We don't copy and mail paper copies
of the proposals, but our services do include the following.

 Note:  Our internal proposal routing form is called the GoldSheet
and is electronically routed.

*	Provide assistance with budgets and related questions;
*	interpretation of ISU and sponsor guidelines;
*	questions related to GoldSheet routing and processing;
*	questions related to necessary supporting documentation for
proposals and/or GoldSheets (i.e. sponsor guidelines, subcontract
documents, matching/cost sharing forms and letters, fringe benefit and
indirect cost rates, etc.).
*	Electronic Research Administration support including GoldSheet
user accounts, creation and maintenance of user accounts in sponsor
databases (i.e. NSF FastLane, NIH eRA Commons, and NASA NSPIRES),
submission of proposals by OSPA (i.e. FastLane, Grants.gov, etc.), and
on-line institutional registration/certification (i.e. CCR, ORCA, and
others).
*	Prepare and provide training for faculty and staff as it relates
to proposal budget preparation, GoldSheet use, and electronic proposal
submission/administration.
*	Respond to calls/emails requesting assistance or additional
information about a proposal that has been submitted, but not funded
(usually from the sponsor).
*	Provide revised budget assistance.
*	Provide support for Community of Science (COS) profile
management and offer assistance for utilizing funding opportunity
searches in the COS database.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Diane

Diane M. Meyer, Proposal Team Director
Office of Sponsored Programs Administration
Iowa State University
1138 Pearson
Ames, Iowa  50011-2207
515-294-4567 (voice)  515-294-8000 (fax)

http://ospa.iastate.edu

Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or
last time. Then your time on earth will be filled with glory.

-Betty Smith