Re: Biosafety Committees Ellen Hyman-Browne 12 Sep 2007 17:04 EST

Brian,
When I was working at a smaller institution where we had only the
occassional rDNA clinical trial, the IBC was a subset of the IRB, and
that worked pretty well.
Ellen

-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxxx@EMICH.EDU
To: "xxxxxx@EMICH.EDU".GWIA1.MERCURY
"xxxxxx@hrinet.org".GWIA1.MERCURY
BCC: Ellen Hyman-Browne <xxxxxx@email.chop.edu>
Creation Date: 9/12 4:02 pm
Subject: [RESADM-L] Biosafety Committees

For those of you in smaller institutions:  How do you maintain a
Biosafety
Committee (in accordance with NIH requirements) when you may have
something
to be reviewed once every couple of years?

We have found that maintaining a standing committee very difficult,
especially with the requirements for two outside members. After getting
commitments for membership and then have nothing to do for a couple of
years
the faculty forget that they are on the committee and community people
disappear.

Does anyone have an agreement to farm protocols out to larger
institutions?
What works?

Thanks.

Brian Anderson, Director