Re: Dept Chair Signature on IRB Applications JCU Director of Sponsored Research 28 Aug 2007 07:50 EST

When I started as IRB administrator our form also had a department chair
signature.  It was eliminated after a discussion on what the signature
meant: approval of the research project or acknowledgment of research
activity.  We decided on the latter.  Rather than delaying the submission of
the application while securing a signature by the chair, we acknowledge the
receipt of an application to the researcher and copy the chair so that the
chair is notified. The title of the research project and the assigned IRB
number is included in the email notification. If the chair has any concerns
over the quality of the research or expertise of the researcher, he/she is
welcome to send comments to the IRB. No one has yet to comment. The chair is
also copied on the approved email but not on any other correspondence with
the researcher. This procedure was welcomed by researchers because it made
the submission process easier and eliminated the perception of suppression
of research.

Cathy

Catherine T. Anson, MA, CRA, CIM
Director of Sponsored Research