Re: Time and Effort Reporting Polly Knutson 03 Aug 2007 14:25 EST

Larry-

The University of Idaho stipulates that only someone with "first hand
knowledge" is allowed to sign.  We interpret this to be either the employee
themselves or the immediate supervisor only.  It is only in extreme
circumstances that a department chair or dean will sign on behalf of the
employee (meaning they are in the wilderness or somehow completely out of
touch with modern communication devices).

Polly J. Knutson, Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of Idaho
PO Box 443020
Moscow ID 83844-3020
(208) 885-2560
(208) 885-5752 fax
xxxxxx@uidaho.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of
Lawrence Waxler
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 6:19 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Time and Effort Reporting

We are in the process of re-writing our Time and Effort Reporting Policy and
got stuck on a point.

Section J. 10. Compensation for Personal Services b.(2)(b)  states in part
that:

"Direct cost activities and F&A cost activities may be confirmed by
responsible persons with suitable means of verification that the work was
performed."

What kind of "suitable means of verification" you consider acceptable when a
responsible person signs a Time and Effort Report on behalf of an employee
who is unavailable to sign it? What do you consider to be a "suitable means
of verification" when the employee signs?

Larry Waxler, Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of Southern Maine
P.O. Box 9300