Re: debarment checks Kristy Ford 27 Jul 2007 12:05 EST

I would think that in a small school that does not have its own purchasing department, OSP would need to be responsible for checking vendors.  Since you are ultimately responsible for managing and tracking the grant funds according to regulation and institution policy, you would want to provide that oversight to protect your OSP and institution.  If you leave it to the faculty or other staff to check the vendors, it becomes extremely difficult for OSP to oversee appropriate use of grant funds.  You could very easily end up learning about a purchase from a debarred vendor after the fact.  At that point, it becomes frustrating for the faculty who needs the materials for his/her project but cannot use it for those purposes.  If a vendor is on the debarred list, anything purchased by your institution from that vendor cannot be used for funded projects.  OSP would then have to help that faculty find a different vendor to purchase from, and the purchasing process has to start all over again.  Plus, since the grant cannot fund the materials/supplies already purchased from the debarred vendor, you go through the trouble of determining who at your institution will eat the cost instead of the grant.  Seems easier to just take on the extra responsibility at the front-end of things.

This is what makes sense to me, anyway.  Hope this helps!
Kristy:)

Kristy Ford
Grant Management Manager
Office of Sponsored Programs/MHUMC
4750 Waters Ave. Suite 212
Savannah, GA  31404
(912)350-6379

>>> Laura Kubec <xxxxxx@KGI.EDU> 7/27/2007 12:46 PM >>>
Ours is a small school without a Purchasing department.  Typically the
faculty member, postdoc, or research assistant makes the purchases of
materials and supplies.

Where do you believe the responsibility lies for checking on the
vendors?

Thanks.

Laura L. Kubec

Director of Sponsored Research Services