Re: Is it just me? Nguyen, Michael M 26 Jul 2007 12:49 EST

From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:07 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Is it just me?

Ummmm, I wasn't being serious.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org]On Behalf
Of Mike L. Varney
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:43 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org

Having a list moderator slows down the responsiveness of the list
discussions drastically.

Every once in a while, side discussions happen.  They are brief.  I
believe you'll see that the benefits of having an open and unmoderated
list far outweigh having to delete a few emails (or in this case, 50!)

-- M

 "Bloomberg,

 Robert"

 <xxxxxx@TUFTS
 -NEMC.ORG>                xxxxxx@hrinet.org

 Sent by: Research
cc
 Administration

 List
Subject
 <xxxxxx@hrinet.         Re: [RESADM-L] Is it just me?

 org>

 07/26/2007 11:32

 AM

 Please respond to

 Research

 Administration

 Discussion List

 <xxxxxx@hrinet.

 org>

I have a suggestion that might just resolve this debate.

The list could appoint an arbiter.  It would be his/her job to review
all emails for correctness.  Only those emails that passed prescribed
criteria would be sent to the list.

Now, you ask, what are the criteria.  That's easy. There are, I assume,
hundreds of people who subscribe to the list, and each one has her/his
own unique point of view.  We wouldn't want to favor any one of these
people.
So the criteria would be--whatever the arbiter wanted.

Now I ask you--is that solution any less reasonable than the debate we
are having over whether one particular email is allowed on the list, or
10 on the same topic, or 100?