Re: Cover Letter for Late Re-submission Donahue, Sherie (LLU) 13 Jul 2007 15:31 EST

I contacted the NIH's Center for Scientific Review about this last fall.
A lady named Hope instructed me that for the investigators that are on a
study section, a 2 week "extension" will be granted. The PI must put the
study section participation in the cover letter as a reason why the
grant is submitted after the due date. She told me that technically NIH
does not give extensions, however, it considers participation in a study
section a "reason for consideration" in allowing the grant to be turned
in past the deadline.

This is what one of our PIs recently put in their cover letter addressed
to the CSR:

"I realize that this grant is submitted after the July 5 deadline. It is
my understanding that extensions of up to 14 days can be granted for
specific circumstances, one of which is service on a Study Section.
Because I served and a member of the _____ study section (dates of the
study section), I am requesting this extension.

Thank you for your consideration and assistance."

I hope this helps.

Sherie

Sherie Donahue, MS
Executive Assistant to the Vice Chancellor for Research Affairs
Loma Linda University
Loma Linda, CA 92350
909/558-8544
909/558-0244 (fax)