Re: wandering PI Smith, Debbie L 02 Jul 2007 15:54 EST

Another issue that I have not seen mentioned (but I'm scanning quickly)
is whether the other institution is a state institution in your state
and what your state law says.  In Tennessee, an individual cannot be an
employee of two state institutions at the same time--a dual services
contract (or subaward) would have to be done.

Debbie

Deborah (Debbie) L. Smith, Ed.D.
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research
Office of Research Administration
UT Health Science Center
910 Madison, Suite 823
Memphis, TN  38163
901 448-4823 - voice
901 448-7600 - fax
xxxxxx@utmem.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Pamela Miller
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 1:25 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] wandering PI

It would be a good case study--and I might use it in the future.

However, as the director of sponsored projects at a PUI that is pretty
new
to research administration I am often surprised by all of the things
that I
take for granted that my constituents have never heard of.

I often have to explain "why" things are done to people that have always
functioned "just fine thank you" under a gentleman's agreement and a
handshake.

Bringing in more structure and oversight is a hard (but necessary) sell.

I suspect that folks at institutions further along the developmental
continuum have the policies and procedures they have because somewhere
along
the line things did go wrong, people or the institution did get burned,
and
lessons were learned--the hard way.

Rather than go this route, I would like to bring these lessons to my
institution now and prevent future problems.

Just call me Pollyanna Miller

Pamela F. Miller, Ph.D.
Director, Office of Sponsored Projects
The University of San Francisco