Re: wandering PI Phillip Myers, Ph.D. 02 Jul 2007 13:18 EST
Brian hit it on the head: the effort reporting requirement weighted with
a faculty member's other duties must be known for audit and even
accreditation. Moreover, if I was the dean and chair of her department
I'd want to count her "subgrant" to best show departmental and college
business on grants and research during the AY. These instances are
really sticky wickets that depend a great detail, I think, on the
cooperation of the sponsored programs office, the department and the
college, and the PI at the second party institution. So bring these
players into the mix, surround your PI with the combined erudition, and
put a stop to it. I hate to  say it, but your institution has the
authority to withdraw from the project. If your discussions are
approached in a positive manner by this elite panel face to face there
should be movement in the direction that you want.

Finally, this consulting gig that faculty do without informing the
university and smiling all of the way to the bank is another negative
outcome. The concept of "free agency" in higher education is rarely an
option.

Best wishes,

Phil