Re: wandering PI Amy L. Taylor 02 Jul 2007 12:55 EST

There are more things to consider, beyond the PI salary and how much they will be paid.

Does the project involve human subjects, or animals? Does it include funding for students or other USFCA employees? How will any payroll or liability for their actions be handled (such as worker's compensation?) Will any part of the project be conducted at USFCA? Is there any international involvement that might need export control review? What are the intellectual property rights?

There may also be appointment issues if the faculty member becomes an employee at another institution

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Pamela Miller wrote:

> Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 10:07:14 -0700
> From: Pamela Miller <xxxxxx@USFCA.EDU>
> To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
> Subject: [RESADM-L] wandering PI
>
> I received an inquiry from a faculty member who cooperated in the submission
> of a proposal to a federal agency from another institution (without going
> through channels here). This is a tenure track associate professor.
>

> The proposal was funded.
>

> I suggested that we set up a subcontract from the awarded institution to our
> institution for a portion of her salary during the academic year.
>

> The faculty member tells me why bother since she can reduce her time at our
> institution and become an employee of the other institution and make extra
> money without a sub. This may or may not be true, but can someone give me
> some reasons why this would be a bad idea?
>

> Pam
>

> Pamela F. Miller, Ph.D.
> Director, Office of Sponsored Projects
> The University of San Francisco