Re: Advanced accounts Judy L Bristow 26 Jun 2007 17:40 EST

My university does have a guarantee policy by which we require the identification of an unrestricted source of funds to guarantee a portion or all of the expected award.  In the event that the award is not received or is less than anticipated, the guarantee source is used to capture the relevant expenses.  If you like, I'll be glad to provide you with a copy of that policy.

Judy L. Bristow
Director, Grants Management
Office of the Executive
 Vice-President for Research
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292

(502) 852-3788 (Phone)
(502) 852-2594 (Fax)

http://research.louisville.edu/gm/gm-survey.htm

>>> "Chaffins, Gary" <xxxxxx@ORSA.UOREGON.EDU> 6/26/2007 4:46 PM >>>
See http://orsa.uoregon.edu/index.cfm?topLevCat=manual
<http://orsa.uoregon.edu/index.cfm?topLevCat=manual&page=manual&archived
=false&id=43#current> &page=manual&archived=false&id=43#current

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Pamela Miller
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:40 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Advanced accounts

We have state funds for intern supervision through local school
districts every year. The state does not let the school districts know
until the end of the fiscal year how much money they will get.  Thus we
do not know until the last minute either.

So we spend college funds and then transfer the costs once the MOU's or
contracts are signed and the accounts are established -a big rush that
makes everyone crazy.

One suggestion was that we establish an advanced account for each
district to allow expenditure authority (with college approval) up to a
certain estimated amount.  Then we could charge the advanced account for
costs during the year. The college would give an acct to charge as back
up if the money did not come through for any reason at the end.

Possible? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Pam

Pamela F. Miller, Ph.D.