Re: Pre-award metrics Charlie Hathaway 26 Jun 2007 14:50 EST

I think the best thing to do is set up a Committee to define and measure
"success in pre-award services".  Include all kinds of people at all
levels.  Be sure to seek complete agreement on precisely how to analyze,
interpret, and utilize the results of all surveys and other data.
Schedule monthly or quarterly meetings.  Serve good food.  Let everyone
talk and talk.

During the Committee's discussion period, continue to do all the good
things that you know are important to faculty morale, academic spirit,
school reputation, and long-term financial benefit.  As always, be on the
lookout for those few grant seeking efforts where your particular talents
will be remembered and applauded when the money arrives.  Examples might
include grants for institutional facilities or actively assisting a brand
new assistant prof in securing a nice junior faculty development grant.

Continue to monitor the Committee's progress until you retire.

Charlie

> Hello all:
>
> Would anyone be willing to share, please, the criteria they use to
measure
> the effectiveness of their pre-award activities -- particularly the
proposal development support services offered? We are exploring a
combination of subjective (e.g., faculty satisfaction) and objective
components (e.g., number of RFAs we respond to). I would be interested to