Re: R&R424 Budget Pages help please? Sarah Gause 22 Jun 2007 10:31 EST

We simply place a blurb in the justifications explaining that the
placement of the subcontract indirects in the 424s gave the appearance
of us exceeding the cap - but in reality, we did not.  We very
specifically mentioned "Direct costs in each year, including the direct
costs from the subcontracts, are less than $500,000" several times, and
had a break down of each w/ totals.  You'll have a warning upon
submission, but we've never had an issue.

~Sarah

*************************************
Sarah G. Epting, CRA
Grants Coordinator
Center for Research in Nutrition and Health Disparities
Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina
2718 Middleburg Drive, 2nd Floor
Columbia, SC 29204
Office: (803) 251-6363, Fax: (803) 251-7873
Email: xxxxxx@gwm.sc.edu
http://nutritioncenter.sph.sc.edu/

_____________________

From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Dewey, Robin
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2007 4:11 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] R&R424 Budget Pages help please?

Okay - I'm probably missing something totally simple here but I'm
completely confounded.

It's my first time doing an electronic submission expanded budget
pages.
I've done about 20 electronic submissions with modular budgets, this
is
the first odd one out. This resubmission has 4 subcontracts in
addition
to the budget for our site ( the primary). Now, as I recall from the
paper submission of this grant back in October, and per the 424
instructions, the $500,000 per year direct cost limit EXCLUDES
consortium F&A costs.

Here's my problem. Everything I'm reading, and everything I can find,
indicates that I put the TOTAL (which I interpret as direct and
indirect) subaward costs in Section F through K, line 5. Problem is,
this makes the Total Direct Costs (G, about halfway down the page)
OVER
the $500,000 limit which directly contradicts the instructions! And
I'm
not sure where or how else to break this down. If I only put their
direct costs in on line 5, then where would I account for their IDC
costs?

Has anyone else seen this? I'm probably over-analyzing again.

Thank you, Robin

Robin Dewey
Research Grants Manager, Department of Medicine
University of Rochester Medical Center
601 Elmwood Avenue
Box MED, Room 3-3236
Rochester, NY 14642