Re: NIH Other Support Michael DeShazo 21 Jun 2007 13:51 EST

Iris,
NIH requires two submissions of support during the granting process.

The first is the initial "Research Support" that is included as part of
the biosketch section of the application. "Research Support" "highlights
your accomplishments, and those of your colleagues, as scientists. This
information will be used by the reviewers in the assessment of each
individual's qualifications for a specific role in the proposed project,
as well as to evaluate the overall qualifications of the research team"
(NIH PHS 398 p.33).  I am assuming that this is not what you are talking
about.

" 'Other Support' information is required for all applications that are
selected to receive grant awards. NIH staff will request complete and
up-to-date "other support" information from you after peer review. This
information will be used to check that the proposed research has not
already been Federally-funded."

It is critical to note the necessity of this information is to ensure
that the funding coming from outside sources is not federal
flow-through.  Additionally, this information allows NIH to see the
level of effort to which an individual is committed to extramural
research and thereby ensure that they will not be over-committed if the
pending award is made to the institution.

It is a good practice to list all extramural support for the faculty
member on his/her "Other Support".

Regards,
Michael DeShazo, CRA
Budget/Fiscal Analyst Lead