Re: Cost Sharing and Transfer of Equipment Hahn, Janet M 11 Jun 2007 14:09 EST

Bob,

Here are a couple of thoughts:

In most cases, the equipment belongs to the institution that purchased
it. Since you didn't address that issue, I'm assuming that the title
does not vest with the granting agency.

At state universities, we are prohibited from giving away state
resources, even if 100% of the funds come from the grant.  Additionally,
it is sometimes assumed that the PI will negotiate with his/her new
institution for sufficient equipment/funds to permit his/her research to
continue.  That said, there are still times when an institution chooses
to loan or perhaps give away a piece of equipment, especially if it is
quite specialized and would not be used by others; however, if it is
used by others and the University has paid for most of the cost, why
would Seton Hall want to transfer it?

There is another issue.  At primarily undergraduate institutions, a
goodly percentage of grants are not primarily research awards, but ones
that are to provide funds for a project that has partly or primarily to
do with the institution or location.  In those cases, the equipment and
indeed the grant would stay with the first institution.  Instead, the PI
would change, perhaps using the original PI as a consultant.

Good luck,

Janet
Janet M. Hahn, M.A., CRA
Executive Director