Re: Looking for offbeat examples of costs Gailey, Jada.Bruner 30 May 2007 14:30 EST

In a past life, we were able to justify diapers to use when we needed to
send seedlings and ensure the roots had enough moisture and the plant
arrived alive.  Also, we justified buying perfumes (some of the
expensive stuff) on a study because they all contained cedar or red
cedar oil and the study was looking at the impact of cultivation of the
tree.

Jada Bruner Gailey, CRA
IACUC Manager
OSU-Research Compliance
219 Cordell North
Stillwater, OK  74078-1038
(V) 405-744-3592
(F) 405-744-4335
(E) xxxxxx@okstate.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of David Hollingsworth
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:05 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Looking for offbeat examples of costs

I am doing a presentation on budgeting and am looking for offbeat
examples of costs that have been budgeted on proposals or that the PI
has submitted for reimbursement.  Below is an example from Maggie
Griscavage submitted to the list in May 2006.
Hi Everyone!
It's Spring up here, so forgive me for being a little frivolous.
Had a query on a Procard use where a charge hit a party shop. ...Here's
a real life answer, suitably scrubbed...

"The invoice from the party place should reflect mustaches and spirit
gum for their application.  I purchased these items because I trap birds
for my research and am in great need of disguises...believe it or not
the birds I work with know me.
I thought that may look suspicious to you..."

And, yes, I allowed the charges! This PI gets my top score for honesty..
Maggie
(not-so-frozen North)