Re: Inclusion of Biosketches for Non-Key Personnel Charlie Hathaway 24 May 2007 20:21 EST

"Key" is defined by the PI. In some labs and on some projects, postdocs,
even technicians, are VERY key...in others they are, well, useful.

Ours is an age where many CEOs make 500 times the salaries of those on the
assembly line and aging untested men send 20 year olds to slaughter. Naive
moi but can't science refuse these conventions of rank and prestige?  Why
should postdocs be excluded on principle?

CH

> I've never allowed a biosketch to be attached for anyone other than
someone designated as Key Personnel or Significant Other Contributor
unless the application guidelines specifically requested it. I would have
the same concern as you, but I honestly can't remember ever having any
difficulty with an investigator trying to attach bios for non-Key
Personnel. On the other hand, I have more problems with PIs identifying
some personnel as Key -- such as post-docs! -- that I'm not sure I really
agree with that designation. However, that is
> ultimately the PI's decision.
>
> -- Evelyn
> Evelyn J. Ford
> Director, Sponsored Research
> Center for Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics
> School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
> 103C Blockley Hall
> 423 Guardian Drive
> Philadelphia PA 19104-6021
> voice 215.573.1360      fax 215.573.5518
> xxxxxx@mail.med.upenn.edu
> http://www.cceb.upenn.edu/
>

> At 05:56 PM 5/24/2007, Michelle Bird wrote:
>
>>Hi--
>>I am curious to know how other institutions are including
>>biosketches on NIH electronic submissions of participants that are
relevant to a project but don't necessarily qualify as Key
>>Personnel.  An example would be a postdoc type of individual.  Often
times our investigators want to include biosketches of all
>>participants on the project even though they would not normally be
listed as key personnel.
>>Do you attach the biosketch in the 424 RR Key Persons or do you
>>attach it as an other attachment?
>>We are concerned that by including these biosketches they will be
considered Key and once an award is made we will be required to