Re: Mac's and grants.gov Michael Kusiak 23 May 2007 20:40 EST

Couple of comments about Macs and grants.gov.

Keep in mind that the electronic application file we submit via grants.gov
is still a PureEdge/IBM workplace Form file in which PDF documents have
been uploaded as an attachments.  We have not transitioned to a platform
where the main application package and the uploaded attachments are both
PDFs (i.e. Adobe forms).

I have had the occasional problem with documents that I have scanned and
have converted into a PDF (with Preview, not Adobe Acrobat).  The image
gets blown up so that the font size is like 100 points or so.  This
problem becomes noticeable when I view PDFs that I have attached to my
PureEdge document.  When this happens, I simply delete the attachment and
recreate the PDF in Acrobat.  When re-uploaded, the problem is usually
solved.  This has happened to me a handful of times since we started
grants.gov submissions.

Since you are working within the PureEdge application, your Internet
browser that you used to download your specific application package should
not affect your ability to manipulate your PureEdge application package.
Remember, you're opening up a PureEdge file in the PureEdge
program/application.  Your PureEdge file is not opened in a browser.

Despite the glitches that became apparent a few weeks back with MacViewer,
ever since grants.gov released MacViewer, I have had no problems in
creating application packages that my central research office can in turn
successfully submit to the Commons via grants.gov.

Mike