Re: Effort question -- Professor emeritus as PI on grant Carol Hillmer 09 May 2007 07:22 EST

A follow up question in regard to effort for emeritus -- if a Emeritus
Professor does not wish to receive salary compensation on their project,
how would you certify their effort commitment?  In our system, we would be
able to provide the individual with a $0 appointment, but would have no
funding string to which effort would equate.  Any thoughts on this would be
helpful.

Carol
Carol Y. Hillmer
Assistant Dean
CALS Research Division -- UW-Madison
136 Agricultural Hall -- 1450 Linden Drive
Madison, WI  53706
(608) 265-5495 phone
(608) 265-9534 fax
_________

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:10:43 -0500
From: "Vigiolto, Margaret" <xxxxxx@DREXEL.EDU>
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Professor emeritus as PI on grant
Sender: Research Administration List <xxxxxx@hrinet.org>
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org

At Drexel, some of our retired faculty remain research-active and our
policy states that emeriti may be granted principal investigator status.
However, we would not grant PI status if we feel that the institution
will have insufficient control over the work (i.e. as in the case of the
PI who is working alone and permanently located in a far away state).

We generally propose salary at the rate at which the professor retired,
although if they are actively consulting, you may want to document and
establish a more appropriate rate to use going forward. The key is to
have a logical and defendable basis for the salary rate. If an award is
made, we hire the professor at the level of effort approved for the
proposed work. The professor and the work are subject to the usual
controls and compliance checks, and we treat the project with the same
care and standards that we apply to all sponsored projects.

Peggy Vigiolto
Associate Vice Provost
Office of Research
Drexel University
3201 Arch Street, Suite 100
Philadelphia, PA 19104
215-895-2311
215-895-6699 fax
xxxxxx@drexel.edu
__________

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 11:29:46 -0600
From: Bill Campbell <xxxxxx@UWRF.EDU>
Sender: Research Administration List <xxxxxx@hrinet.org>
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org

Tim, my institution has done this several times.  In at least one case, we
paid the professor an honorarium w/ no fringe benefits--that was for a
short-term task.  In other cases, we've put them back on the payroll at a
mutually agreeable rate and included standard fringe benefits in the
proposal budget.  Sometimes we've used their final salary level,
pre-retirement as the basis for figuring their grant-funded salary.

In all cases, we've treated the proposals--and the projects that
resulted--in the same way as other university proposals: monitoring
compliance, accounting procedures, etc.  In other words, we haven't just
provided the retired faculty with a laundry for the funds.  Not that your
colleague was thinking of that, of course.

Regards, Bill

Bill Campbell
Director, Grants & Research
University of Wisconsin-River Falls
410 S. 3rd St.
River Falls, WI 54022
715/425-3195
FAX 715/425-0649
__________

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 12:26:32 -0500
From: Angela Sgroi <xxxxxx@TCNJ.EDU>
Sender: Research Administration List <xxxxxx@hrinet.org>
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org

Tim,

I just did this for one of our emerita professors.  I used the salary range
and step at which she retired and asked HR to give me the actual salary
projections for the dates of the proposal.

Angela
____________

At 12:12 PM 3/7/2007 Wednesday, Tim Kirby wrote:
>Could anyone share their policy on this.  Professor is retired but would
>like to use the University for affiliation.  If allowed, how would you
>calculate salary since retired professor is no longer on the payroll?
>
>Thanks.
>

>Tim Kirby
>Director, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
>Montclair State University
>College Hall, Room 309
>Upper Montclair, NJ 07043
>
>973-655-7534