Re: Grant Writer in a Sponsored Programs office? Pate, Carolyn I 02 May 2007 11:44 EST

My job is proposal development.  It is broader than proposal writing,
although I sometimes review proposals for faculty and make suggestions
for improving the proposals. If you're interested in my broad job
description, you can find it at my website:
http://www.txstate.edu/research/opd/index.php

(I prefer the terms "proposal writer" or "proposal developer" because
one GETS a grant, but has to WRITE or DEVELOP a proposal to do so.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Gina Betcher
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 11:30 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Grant Writer in a Sponsored Programs office?

Yes, I am a grant writer disguised as a grant developer. My assigned
duties involve:

- coordinating collaborative research teams
- writing sections and definitely editing to one voice
- reviewing very rough drafts and developing these into strong proposals
- writing out the budget and justification
- dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's
- submitting proposals
- presenting on grant writing and proposal development
- securing copies of funded proposals (from sponsors and direct from
PIs) as requested from faculty
- and more

There's only one and a half of me (we have one part time grant
developer) to serve all university faculty. The workflow is constant
and, at times, overwhelming (I am used to it).

>>> Megan Delaney <xxxxxx@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU> 5/2/2007 11:36 AM

Our administration has offered us the opportunity to hire a Grant Writer
to work from our Research and Sponsored Programs office. We are a medium
sized office in a state University looking to jump start faculty
enthusiasm and increase our number of grant submissions, however, we
have some hesitations that faculty members will actually utilize and
seek assistance from someone in this position. We are worried about

their potential work flow and assigned duties, we do not need any
assistance in pre or post award management.

Our questions are the following:

 1. Do you know of any Grant Writers under the umbrella of a Sponsored
 Programs office and if so:
 * What are their assigned duties?
 * How is their work flow?
 2. If you had to hire someone as a Grant Writer in a Sponsored
 Program office and did not need help with pre-award
 administration,  what would be your "dream job" for this person?
 3. Do you have a specific job description you would be willing to
 share with us?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Megan

--
Megan E. Delaney