Re: Grant Writer in a Sponsored Programs office? Charlie Hathaway 02 May 2007 11:41 EST

A "grant writer" in an academic setting will not be doing what the same position does at a small non-profit.  In the latter case, the person would likely write whole grants.  At a university I would envision a more broad position and hire accordingly.  Clearly, the writer's background outside of writing needs to be considered based on what kinds of proposals you anticipate.  (Remember, science majors tend to know more about economics and history than English majors know about physics).

Also...working with faculty on grants can mean everything from turning glop into English to last minute tweeking.  In all cases, your person will need to have enough charm to tell a lazy but capable PhD to do more work and tell an over-confident department chair that he/she might consider letting the writer add a little polish.  This flexibility becomes key because it permits the writer to adjust to peak flow.  A detailed job description will either be 20 pages long or amended in a week.

CH