Re: Interpretation: OSA or Sponsored Instruction/Training? Chamness, Laurie Powers 29 Mar 2007 07:48 EST

We would classify it as other sponsored activity, not instruction.

Laurie P. Chamness, Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424
Campus Location:  407-G Bell Bldg.
Voice:  843.953.5885   Fax:  843.953.6577
E-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu
Internet:  http://www.orga.cofc.edu/
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew Parkerson-Gray
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:10 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Interpretation: OSA or Sponsored
Instruction/Training?

Hello everyone,

I'm feeling like I've run into some grey area by a proposal that's come
through our office, and thought I'd get some other takes on it. This is
of course, an A-21 interpretation. I've seen other takes on this, but
don't necessarily agree with some that I've seen. Anyhow, here's the
scoop:

An outside nonprofit (not connected to our university) has solicited the

services of university personnel to create 2 training videos for them
(them being the nonprofit) to use in future trainings. A university
technician will work on the videos and send the final products to the
outside nonprofit. The university PI (who isn't getting any pay from
this, but supervises the tech.) is arguing that the activity should be
"sponsored training". I'm arguing that it should be "other sponsored
activity", since the project doesn't involve any actual training or
instruction (it's storyboarding, piecing the videos together and making
DVDs, then delivering them to the nonprofit), and it's not really
involving a faculty member (who would be the normal job type to conduct
sponsored instruction or training, especially in this case - as a
subject matter expert). Again, I also think that since the university
tech. is essentially performing a service for an outside entity, it's
not really training or instruction and should be OSA. What would you
choose?

Thanks,
Andrew