Re: sponsored programs backgrounds Charlie Hathaway 14 Mar 2007 20:21 EST

"PI's perspective"?  I think it is a safe assumption that senior faculty
members, especially at research intensive schools, know a hell of a lot
about research administration.

What remains in critical shortage are research administrators who really
know what research is about.  Certainly some can talk the talk vis-a-vis
scientific method and study design jargon.  But can you really convey to
anyone the frustrations and joys of the actual process?

Maybe it is the personal attachment to a question, the ownership of the
search, that makes it special.  God bless our system for understanding
that it is individuals, enabled by genius and driven by passion,
developing the great hypothesis, one's own great hypothesis, that makes
science work.

I do not think that you need research experience to be a good research
administrator.  But if research administrators all understood that
research preceded its administration, researchers that keep us employed,
and that while perhaps necessary, it is really lunacy to make scholars
perform all these tricks for grant dollars, then I think the RA profession
would be better and would be more respected by the faculty we seek to
serve.

Again I request that the next time you hear someone say, "Gee, you'd think
a PhD could understand what a DUNS number is", that you fire or strangle
them.  Of course, you are allowed to also strangle the researcher who
really is abusive.  But always consider first that there is probably a lot
that neither of you know about the other's work and life.  And then try to
be as saintly as you can.

Charlie

> ...when really, in some cases, the faculty member with extensive
research experience only knows research administration from a PI's
perspective (which can be somewhat limited).

> Paul Eduard Tuttle, Associate Director
> Office of Sponsored Programs
> Room C024G, Anderson Center
> Winston-Salem State University
> Winston-Salem, NC 27110
> direct: (336) 750-3019
> office: (336) 750-2410
> fax: (336) 750-2412
> email: xxxxxx@wssu.edu

Behalf Of Myra Norman
> Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:52 PM
> To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
> Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] sponsored programs backgrounds
>
> I agree with Spanky.  I have a doctorate, but not the faculty
> background.  This is a stumbling block for someone who would like to
move higher into a Associate VP or VP position.  Search committees still
look for faculty with extensive research.