Re: Raising the "younger" generation of administrators Gina Betcher 14 Mar 2007 11:14 EST

Well, I admire your education. I worry truly what mine looks like:
an MFA in fiction. When I'm not hungry, I am a good writer. Teaching
experience, too, lends skills to my presentations. But anyway, I do
feel offices of research favor hiring scientists above the rest.

>>> "Lenox, Janis" <xxxxxx@VA.GOV> 3/14/2007 11:28 AM >>>
I support the idea that people wanting a senior position are not
coming
up through the ranks.  But it is not necessarily because they
don't
apply.

My experience is that after years of gathered experience (within
the
research field doing budgets, proposals, and financial management
of
same)  and going to school (at the same time) to receive a BS in
accounting, MBA in finance and a MS in taxation, that my experience
and
degrees do not rank as high as in the eyes of those doing the
screenings.  It seems like many institutions keep looking for that
"fresh view" to make their systems and procedures work better.  I
often
see outsiders brought in over experienced staff.  I'm not saying
that
sitting in a chair should move you to another level within your
organization, but I don't see many institutions really following
the
promote-from-within policy either.  It's as if the person has been
classified by upper managers as to our abilities and skill level
because
we took a position at a lower level.  Often to move ahead, many
people
have to move to other institutions.  Then I'm questioned on why I
move
around so much.  If I stay in one place, I don't move at all (or
very
slowly).

thanks

Janis Lenox, Director, Contracts & Grants
Northern California Institute
 for Research and Education (NCIRE)
4150 Clement Street, NC-151
San Francisco, CA 94121-1545