Re: Human Subjects Question McDowell, Janet 08 Mar 2007 14:48 EST

You might find out if there has been any effort to agree to reciprocity
on the IRB approval issue.  The FWA will indicate whether each
institution has a formal agreement to abide by the review provided by
specific other IRBs. We have such an agreement with an area hospital
system where our nursing students sometimes do research.

Janet McDowell
Radford University

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Robert Bienkowski
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:35 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Human Subjects Question

It depends on the policy of Professor A's institution regarding outside
consulting. If Prof A represents him/herself as a Professor of
Behavioral Science at Ivy League University, then I bet the policy would
require that the IRB at IVU  be involved. I would suggest that Prof A
ask the VP Research at IVU (and keep copies of the memos).

Bob Bienkowski

--
Robert S Bienkowski, PhD
xxxxxx@att.net

From: Pamela Miller <xxxxxx@USFCA.EDU>
> Professor A works as a consultant on a grant involving human subjects
> awarded to another institution-not the place Professor A is employed.
Does
> Professor A's Institutional IRB have to review and approve the human
> subjects' protocol for this research?  Or is this the responsibility
of the
> IRB of the institution that received the award?
>

> What if Professor A's role (even though a "consultant" ) approaches
Co-PI