Re: IRBs and faculty senate Lawrence Waxler 07 Mar 2007 14:08 EST

This raises a big red flag for me!

Your institutional IRB policy and procedures need to be compliant with
OHRP requirements - period. Although I understand that there is some
philosophical differences of opinion in the social science research
community regarding the scope of IRB authority, these differences can
not be allowed to overtake OHRP requirements.

I think that by allowing your faculty senate to intercede in the
process, you have opened the door to a dilution of your compliance
efforts. While it is certainly the faculty senate's prerogative to
discuss such matters and even take a position, compliance is not
necessarily a negotiated issue. You need to have your upper
administration take a position that supports the IRB as an independent
and objective process.

To answer you questions:

Our faculty senate is not and was not involved in the process of
formulating our institutional policy and procedures for the reason which
I stated. Yes, they did express some early discomfort, but we have moved
beyond that with policy and procedure which is clearly stated in terms
of OHRP requirements and which faculty have grown to understand and
comply with.

All of our members are recommended by the chair of our IRB, in
conjunction with our Office of Research Compliance, and appointed by the
Provost. They do not represent any particular committee, board, or
academic unit as much as they bring a sent of skills and knowledge to
the committee which allows for diverse and well-rounded discussions.

Good luck.

Larry Waxler, Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of Southern Maine