Re: Professor emeritus as PI on grant Vigiolto, Margaret 07 Mar 2007 13:10 EST

At Drexel, some of our retired faculty remain research-active and our
policy states that emeriti may be granted principal investigator status.
However, we would not grant PI status if we feel that the institution
will have insufficient control over the work (i.e. as in the case of the
PI who is working alone and permanently located in a far away state).

We generally propose salary at the rate at which the professor retired,
although if they are actively consulting, you may want to document and
establish a more appropriate rate to use going forward. The key is to
have a logical and defendable basis for the salary rate. If an award is
made, we hire the professor at the level of effort approved for the
proposed work. The professor and the work are subject to the usual
controls and compliance checks, and we treat the project with the same
care and standards that we apply to all sponsored projects.

Peggy Vigiolto
Associate Vice Provost
Office of Research
Drexel University