Re: Professor emeritus as PI on grant Bill Campbell 07 Mar 2007 12:29 EST

Tim, my institution has done this several times.  In at least one case,
we paid the professor an honorarium w/ no fringe benefits--that was for
a short-term task.  In other cases, we've put them back on the payroll
at a mutually agreeable rate and included standard fringe benefits in
the proposal budget.  Sometimes we've used their final salary level,
pre-retirement as the basis for figuring their grant-funded salary.

In all cases, we've treated the proposals--and the projects that
resulted--in the same way as other university proposals: monitoring
compliance, accounting procedures, etc.  In other words, we haven't just
provided the retired faculty with a laundry for the funds.  Not that
your colleague was thinking of that, of course.

Regards, Bill

Bill Campbell
Director, Grants & Research
University of Wisconsin-River Falls